7.09.2008

thanks for being my girl
















Unabashedly crooning songs of a gay subject matter, Jay Brannan is like a sweet commercialized version of Antony. While Antony warbles with immense heartache to lyrics such as those in "Be My Husband" -


Be my husband and I'll be your wife
Oh daddy now now love me good
Be my husband and I'll be your wife
If you want me to I'll cook and sew

Brannan's melodious tenor almost shade the darker themes underlying his lyrics, which half-laugh/half-bring-you-to-your-knees. For example, "Housewife" -

I wanna be a housewife
What's so wrong with that...

I like to wash the dishes
I like to scrub the floors
Don’t mind doing his laundry
What are boyfriends for?

Despite being a sucker for silvery voices, I'm not sure how I entirely feel about Mr. Brannan. By using lyrics involving the words iPod, Craigslist & your text messages were like no-calorie food for my soul I'm not certain if he's being flippant or genuinely serious.


Half- Boyfriend - Jay Brannan
Bird Girl - Antony & The Johnsons

No comments: